Director Property Accounting
Director Property Accounting
- Job ID
- Job Location
- Scottsdale - Progress Residential
Progress Residential® is one of the largest providers of high-quality, single-family rental homes in the United States. With more than 30,000 homes in fifteen of the country’s fastest-growing markets, our residents appreciate the flexibility, freedom and convenience of living in a single-family home without the obligations of home ownership. Progress is committed to making the home rental process easy and enjoyable for the 100,000 residents we serve by empowering our team members and investing in innovative systems and technology.
Over the past three years our portfolio has doubled in size and we have added new executive leadership, including the recent appointment of Charles “Chaz” Mueller to Chief Executive Officer. We see increasing demand for professionally managed single-family rental homes and anticipate continued growth.
Progress Residential has a national footprint with our executive office located in Dallas, Texas, our corporate office in Scottsdale, Arizona and regional offices in Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Memphis, Miami, Nashville, Orlando, Phoenix, Raleigh, Sarasota, and Tampa.
We are searching for a Director Property Accounting with oversite of Accounts Payable and Property Accounting. This position reports to the Senior Vice President/Controller.
- Timely and accurate preparation and submission of external and internal monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting
- Create concise management and variance reports that highlight and give analysis of the major items being presented
- Maintain chart of account structure and reporting hierarchy and roll-ups for segment reporting, market-level reporting, cost center reporting and functional department reporting
- Write technical accounting memos that document the company’s position on unusual and/or material accounting positions
- Lead the process whereby monthly accounting closes are conducted in the most timely and efficient manner while maintaining adherence to all GAAP standards
- Supervise the property accountants, AP manager and AP staff
- Coordinate annual external independent audit
- Along with SVP/Controller, report on the internal accounting controls
- Maintain a working knowledge of treasury/cash management and provide support when appropriate
- Manage the monthly funding request process
- Measure Company performance towards achieving its budgeted goals
- Find, recommend and implement cost reductions
- Analyze and improve the company’s Accounts Payable flow to harvest efficiencies
- Assist in formulating the Company’s future direction and support tactical initiatives
- Perform various financial modeling, as needed
- Comply with all GAAP, contractual and regulatory obligations and regulations
- Assure proper documentation of disclosure decisions including proper consultation with executive management, auditors and legal counsel
- Assure compliance with established policies and procedures as they relate to the adequacy and functionality of accounting controls
- Establish policies and procedures for preparation of estimates, judgments and assumptions that are required to determine the value of assets, liabilities, revenues and expenses
Human Resource Management
- Supervise staff, set goals and hold people accountable for results
- Maintain positive leadership, give frequent performance feedback, conduct regularly scheduled staff meetings, encourage two-way participation and ideas
- Comply with and enforces all policies and procedures
- Coordinate activities to maximize the efficiency of all processes
- Share lessons learned and best practices
- Provide leadership and create a positive and supportive work environment
- 7 or more years of progressive accounting experience with a minimum of 3 years managing staff
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- CPA and/or MBA preferred
- Prior experience at Controller or Accounting Director level
- Must be proficient in use of PC and various software packages
- Must be proficient in use of various accounting software – Yardi experience preferred
- Act with integrity and honesty, avoiding actual or apparent conflicts of interest in personal and professional relationships
- Excellent business acumen combined with strong analytical skills
- Results driven, disciplined and hard-working with a focus on setting and meeting deadlines and budgets
- Comply with rules and regulations of federal, state, provincial and local governments, and other appropriate regulatory agencies
What you can expect from us:
Progress Residential® offers all the financial and non-financial incentives you would expect from an innovative real estate investment and management firm:
- In addition to outstanding training, we host quarterly summits and town hall meetings to encourage growth, knowledge sharing and a good time. After all, it’s about progress, not perfection.
- We offer competitive compensation, including a performance-based bonus.
- Our generous benefits package includes comprehensive healthcare coverage for you and your family, parental leave, paid time off, and 9 paid holidays.
This brief summary is not an all-inclusive description of job duties. Other job duties and responsibilities may also be assigned by the incumbent’s supervisor at any time based upon Company need.
Progress Residential® is a proud Equal Opportunity employer, m/f/d/v.