Director of Property Tax
- Job ID
- Job Location
Director, Property Tax is responsible property tax valuations and appeals. The primary responsibility is to minimize the property tax liability of the portfolio through the optimization of a data-driven tax appeal process which includes the selection, use, and management of consulting firms and the in-house filing and management of appeals.
To be successful in this role, one must possess superior analytical ability in addition to a strong business acumen to effectively and efficiently execute our business strategy while working cross functionally with other key stakeholders within the organization. The ideal candidate excels at identifying risk and opportunity, iterates and solves problems quickly, and actively contributes enhancements to drive continual improvement in an ever-changing landscape.
- Direct day to day function of the Property Tax Appeals Department
- Help develop an appeal process and valuation model that is data-driven and logistics orientated
- Review annual assessments, identify opportunities to file property tax appeals, build valuation models supporting appeal positions
- Assist in preparation and filing of property tax appeals within the statutory time frame, to insure appeal opportunities are not missed
- Appear before taxing authorities, including assessors, board of assessment appeals, board of equalization and tax court, in pursuit of property tax appeals
- Source and engage 3rd party property tax appeal companies and monitor their performance for effectiveness
- Implement state-of-the-art record-keeping capability and associated databases to ensure efficiencies and the availability of comprehensive and accurate information for analysis and decision making
- Interface as needed with Tax accounting to develop property tax budgets and forecastsIdentify risks and set goals and objectives to reduce those risks
- Coordinate and communicate with supervisor, company management, company associates, outside consultants, service providers and taxing authorities to ensure proper tax reporting and appeals
- Stay informed on changes in property tax rules, regulations, laws and procedures on a state by state and jurisdiction by jurisdiction basis.
- Ensure appropriate application of property laws companywide to effectively minimize liabilities, risks, and exposures
- Perform other duties as assigned or as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field is required.
- Minimum of 7+ years of relevant tax experience with an emphasis on property taxes
- Minimum of 3 years of managerial experience
- Experience in the appraisal / valuation of real property is highly preferred
- Direct working experience with iTAM property tax software preferred
- Experience in property tax practices and departmental processes
- Strong technical background in ad valorem taxation of real and/or personal property as well as property tax accounting
- Experience in preparing appeals
- Course work from the IAAO, AI, IPT highly preferred
- Understanding of federal, state and local taxes and the impact of each on property tax strongly preferred
- Must be able to travel frequently
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Strong work ethic, integrity, and good business acumen along with excellent verbal & written communication skills.