Director, Software Engineering
Looking for an opportunity with a dynamic, fun, and goal-oriented company? We’re growing quickly and we’re looking for some not-so-typical talent to join our team.
Progress Residential® is one of the largest providers of high-quality, single-family rental homes in the United States. With more than 65,000 homes across some of the fastest-growing markets, our residents appreciate the flexibility, freedom, and convenience of living in a single-family home without the obligations of home ownership.
Progress is committed to making the home rental process easy and enjoyable for the 100,000+ residents we serve by empowering our team members and investing in innovative systems and technology. Our portfolio has continued to grow substantially the past few years and we see increasing demand for professionally managed single-family rental homes and anticipate continued growth.
At Progress we’re focused on maintaining a safe environment for our employees and our community. We incentivize and encourage our employees to be fully vaccinated.
The Software Engineering Director will manage and mentor a team of skilled, highly motivated software developers and engineers, while providing architecture oversight and operational support guidance for custom and business critical platforms used in the enterprise. The environment is fast paced and time to market of applications is critical to the success of the organization.
This position will be part of a dynamic team that is dedicated to delivering applications for high-quality, on-time software releases leveraging best-of-breed agile and DevOps practices with a focus on how to enable the operations of those applications through a combination of infrastructure solutioning, continuous delivery & integration, and efficient system sustainment planning.
This role is responsible for leading technical design, development, delivery, and operation of applications while managing respective agile work-streams closely. The applications supported by this team are shared across multiple business lines and so require the coordination of multiple, often competing prioritization concerns. In this capacity, the Software Engineering Director will need to develop effective working relationships with various members of application development, infrastructure, customer support, property management and central operations teams.
The Software Engineering Director will balance their time between leading the development team, focusing on execution, influencing improvements, thought leadership on the development process, and contributing to the coding and development of our applications.
* This role should have prior experience managing development teams working on internal and customer facing cloud-based applications.
* The candidate should have a strong understanding of agile software development and how that impacts the operations of software; and must participate in strategy discussion with all levels of management and business sponsors.
* A deep background in system integration & micro-services architecture is required. Experience working on mobile and responsive web development is preferred.
* Work closely with VPs in the department to understand the technology roadmap and assist in enforcing the enterprise architecture standards.
* Work closely with PMO and other business groups to plan the delivery of software solutions.
* Experience with Salesforce and Amazon Web Services (AWS) platforms strongly preferred.
* Plan and execute automated tests and performance tests with scalability and growth in mind for all business-critical applications.
* Review project requirements & business cases to develop technical designs and lead teams to implement changes within the Salesforce & AWS platforms.
* Manage technical delivery of applications to Progress Residential using both in-house development teams as well as consultants on strategic projects.
* Support testing & deployment cycles, including working with project managers to coordinate user acceptance testing (UAT) and gathering feedback from pre-release testers.
* Ability to log, track, and manage issues, bugs, and enhancement/ features requests logged in JIRA.
* Participate in software release and post-release activities, including developing designs for proof of concepts.
* Oversee on-going systems administration, maintenance, and support functions.
* Capture, mitigate and /or escalate risks & issues in a timely fashion.
* Ensure development standards and consistency of specifications across sub-systems.
* Write and/or review deliverables, solution blueprints, and architecture documentation.
* Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related technology subject area required.
* 8+ years of overall experience in software development and 5+ years of hands-on object oriented programming experience.
* 5+ years of management experience in an operational environment overseeing production systems.
* Experience in resourcing, staffing and delivery of technical solutions with a given budget.
* Excellent organization skills and ability to effectively multitask in a dynamic and fast paced work environment.
* ITIL understanding and familiarity with modern application architecture design patterns.
* Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) and ability to communicate effectively with business owners in escalated or tense situations.
* Experience deploying and managing applications on AWS a strong plus; micro-services and serverless architecture a strong plus.
* Salesforce experience strongly preferred: Apex experience a strong plus.
* Experience with web applications and digital solutions: React front-end, micro-services, and cloud data platforms a strong plus.
* Experience in DevOps and Monitoring technologies.
* Experience with entire software development lifecycle (Agile, SDLC, Iterative).
* Proven experience with integrated systems required.
* Experience with software and database performance tuning.
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
* Flexibility and positive attitude to achieve tight deadlines.
* Solid detail-oriented documentation skills.
* Strong balance of business and technical skills and ability to "translate" technical concepts clearly to non-technical decision-makers.
* Rapidly adapt and respond to changes in environment and priorities.
* Ability to work with a complex stakeholder group across geographical boundaries.
* Ability to work creatively, propose ideas and contribute to working groups.
What you can expect from us:
Progress Residential® offers all the financial and non-financial incentives you would expect from an innovative real estate investment and management firm:
In addition to outstanding training, we host quarterly summits and town hall meetings to encourage growth, knowledge sharing and a good time. After all, it’s about progress, not perfection.
We offer competitive compensation, including a performance-based bonus.
Our generous benefits package includes comprehensive healthcare coverage for you and your family, parental leave, paid time off, 9 paid holidays and much more.
This summary is not an all-inclusive description of job duties. Other job duties and responsibilities may also be assigned by the incumbent’s supervisor at any time based upon Company need.
Progress Residential® is a proud Equal Opportunity employer, m/f/d/v.