Senior DevOps Engineer
Looking for an opportunity with a dynamic, fun, and goal-oriented company? We’re growing quickly and we’re looking for some not-so-typical talent to join our team.
Progress Residential® is one of the largest providers of high-quality, single-family rental homes in the United States. With more than 75,000 homes across some of the fastest-growing markets, our residents appreciate the flexibility, freedom, and convenience of living in a single-family home without the obligations of home ownership.
Progress is committed to making the home rental process easy and enjoyable for the 100,000+ residents we serve by empowering our team members and investing in innovative systems and technology. Our portfolio has continued to grow substantially the past few years and we see increasing demand for professionally managed single-family rental homes and anticipate continued growth.
Employment with Progress Residential is conditional on a satisfactory background and drug screen as well as submitting proof satisfactory to Progress Residential that you are fully vaccinated against the Corona Virus COVID-19 disease, subject to any accommodations granted by Progress Residential based on disability or religion or as applicable by state law.
The Senior DevOps Engineer will be responsible for leading design, build, and deployment of software solutions and cloud services. The environment is fast paced and time to market of applications is critical to the success of the organization. The Senior DevOps Engineer is responsible for identification and selection of appropriate cloud services based on requirements and constraints, has deep subject matter expertise, and can evaluate new technologies for fit in current infrastructure architecture.
This position will be part of a dynamic team that is dedicated to delivering applications for high-quality, on-time software releases leveraging best-of-breed agile and DevOps practices with a focus on how to enable the operations of those applications through a combination of infrastructure solutioning, continuous delivery & integration, and efficient system sustainment planning.
The Senior DevOps Engineer must conduct research on emerging cloud technologies in support of infrastructure development efforts and recommend technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and infrastructure flexibility. The role focuses primarily on improving and maintaining how critical cloud applications are built, integrated, and deployed on cloud platforms such as Salesforce and AWS. The Senior DevOps Engineer will also assist in defining and implementing system level monitoring solutions. This engineer will help coach, mentor, and train new engineers on the team.
* Excellent understanding of typical multi-tier architectures: web servers, caching, application servers, load balancers, and storage
* Understanding of relational databases, NoSQL databases, and storage solutions for both structured and non-structured data
* Knowledge of message queuing, and server less architecture concepts
* Familiarity with loose coupling and stateless systems
* Understanding of different consistency models in distributed systems
* Knowledge of Content Delivery Networks (CDN) and load balancing
* Hands-on development of RESTful Web Services, SOAP, XML, and JSON integrations
* Advise software engineers on DevOps best practices (automation, CI, automated testing, etc)
* Maintain and expand CI/CD environments and scripting for all development efforts
* Deploy and configure monitoring systems on existing and new infrastructure based on best practices (e.g. ELK Stack)
* Work experience with information and application security concepts, mechanisms, and tools
* Large-scale distributed systems architecture
* System monitoring and performance tuning
* Information and application security concepts including public key encryption, remote access, access credentials, and certificate-based authentication
* Hands-on full-stack development across a variety of technologies and platforms
* Prior experience in building highly scalable, cloud-native microservices-based applications using technologies like AWS, Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Docker, Node.js, Java, Cassandra or MongoDB
* Prior experience with QA automation tools like Selenium and behavioral driven development frameworks
* Support software developers and architects in implementation of a highly scalable integration platform to allow Progress Residential to work with multiple 3rd party partners across the property management lifecycle
* Perform gap analysis of current architecture and implementations against strategic roadmaps
* Evaluate new technology for inclusion in our stack, including building proof of concepts
* Lead high level designs and prototyping initiatives with engineering team
* Work with developers to identify and create common reusable components
* Undertake initiatives to drive down the cost of development
* Drive technical consolidation and reduction of duplicate effort across projects
* The candidate should have a strong understanding of agile software development and how that impacts the operations of software; and must participate in strategy discussion with all levels of management and business sponsors.
* A deep background in system integration & service-oriented architecture is required. Experience working on mobile and responsive web development is preferred.
* Log, track, and manage issues, bugs, and enhancement/ features requests logged in JIRA.
* Participate in software release and post-release activities, including developing designs for proof of concepts.
* Capture, mitigate and /or escalate risks & issues in a timely fashion
* Write and/or review deliverables, solution blueprints, and architecture documentation
* BS in Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education/experience; advanced degree preferred
* 4+ years’ experience as a DevOps Engineer or lead developer for internet-scale web/mobile applications and public APIs
* 5+ years’ experience in a hands-on technical role supporting the development of cloud applications or services
* Strong system administration (Linux/Unix or Windows) at the command-line level
* Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code: design and security, configuration management, integration, deployment, performance monitoring and tuning, automation of infrastructure
* Working knowledge of one or more high-level programming languages (Java, PHP, Ruby, Python, etc.). Strong scripting skillset
* Expertise with scalable web technologies such as Node.js
* Expertise with current software design principles and concepts
* Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure
* Experience with NoSQL databases and relational databases
* Exceptional problem solving, analysis, design, and testing skills
* Mobile platform development experience a plus
* Experience with Salesforce development is a plus
* Excellent communication and organizational skills
* ITIL understanding and familiarity with modern application architecture design patterns
* Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) and ability to communicate effectively with business owners
* Experience with entire software development lifecycle (Agile, SDLC, Iterative)
* Proven experience with integrated systems required
* Experience with software and database performance tuning
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills
* Flexibility and positive attitude to achieve tight deadlines
* Rapidly adapt and respond to changes in environment and priorities
* Ability to work creatively, propose ideas and contribute to working groups
What you can expect from us:
Progress Residential® offers all the financial and non-financial incentives you would expect from an innovative real estate investment and management firm:
In addition to outstanding training, we host quarterly summits and town hall meetings to encourage growth, knowledge sharing and a good time. After all, it’s about progress, not perfection.
We offer competitive compensation, including a performance-based bonus.
Our generous benefits package includes comprehensive healthcare coverage for you and your family, parental leave, paid time off, 10 paid holidays and much more.
This summary is not an all-inclusive description of job duties. Other job duties and responsibilities may also be assigned by the incumbent’s supervisor at any time based upon Company need.
Progress Residential® is a proud Equal Opportunity employer, m/f/d/v.